It’s Halloween night and your little candy cruncher has laid out his or her Halloween candy all over the floor. You, of course, take some of your favorites because he doesn’t need all that candy. You deserve it after walking all those blocks in the freezing cold drizzle!
I’m going to tell you one of the scariest things about Halloween. Sugar mixed with the bacteria in your mouth produces acid. This acid attacks your teeth for up to 20 minutes. If you are snacking on Halloween candy several times a day for several days…the effect on teeth can be dramatic!
The number of times per day teeth are exposed to sugar should be limited. Ten pieces of candy in ten minutes is better than one piece of candy every day for 10 days because of less acid exposure to the enamel.
The following might not seem like a good idea for your little monster’s belly but it works well for their teeth. Give them free reign with the candy sack for one or two days then get rid of the rest. If you need a place to donate it, your local dental office would be happy to take it!
Call Joy M. Miller D.D.S. dental office at (816) 875-9316 to schedule an appointment after your Halloween adventures.